The Iowa Center for Economic Education at Dordt College facilitated the New Iowa Finance Challenge for Middle and High School Students that was held during Money Smart Week at the end of April.
The state-wide financial literacy competition was a free online financial literacy program that tested students’ knowledge about income and money management, spending and credit, and savings and investing.
Participating schools included Treynor, Madrid Junior and Senior High School, Tri-Center High School, Essex Junior and Senior High, MOC-FV High School, River Valley, Sioux Center High School, and Creston Middle School.
MOC-FV High School took the overall winning title, qualifying them for nationals. However, the winning teams from MOC-FV were unable to attend nationals due to graduation and state track. The next highest scoring team was from River Valley. Teacher Teena Dreckman attended the national competition in Kansas City with her students: Katie Reinking, Paige Korver, and Emily Hoy.
The challenge was sponsored by the Iowa Jump$tart Coalition and Wells Fargo.
Region one high school division:
- First place: Maria Cuevas, Aricson Knoblock, and Monica Nicholson of MOC-FV High School
- Second place: Sarah Schwarz, Kyle Van Der Stoep, and Cara Venema of MOC-FV High School
Region three high school division:
- First place: Sammy Anderson, Erin Bolte, and Brian Tessmer of Tri-Center High School
- Second place: Grace Lisle, Hannah Pettit, Jesse Pursell, and Shelbie Weihs of Tri-Center High School
Region one middle school division:
- First place: Skylar Mesner, Adrian Meza, and Ariaqna Meza of River Valley
- Second place: Jacob Henderson, Kera Johnson, Hailey Joy, and Ashton Lichtenburg of River Valley
Region three middle school division:
- First place: Brendan Mass, Amanda Kern, Alora Nowlin, and Brett Phelps of Treynor
- Second place: Megan Carley, Maria Carolus, Kyle Christensen, and Dane Dunbar of Treynor